Home > General HR > Diwali Celebration – Safety tips

Diwali Celebration – Safety tips

October 30, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

diwali celebration

SAFETY TIPS FOR DIWALI CELEBRATION

Special precautions should be taken at the time of Diwali celebrations specially when bursting fire crackers. A few simple prevention measures are outlined below which would help you in celebrating this festival safely.

Fire Safety/Firework accident Prevention

 

The Do’s

 

  • Make sure you buy Fireworks from a licensed shop.
  • Always keep the fireworks in a closed box.
  • Store crackers away from sources of fire or ignition also keep them away from the reach of children.
  • Read the instructions and follow all safety precautions recommended for the use of fire works.
  • Light crackers in open spaces.
  • While lighting the crackers stand at an arm’s length from the cracker.
  • Discard used fireworks in a bucket of water. In this manner you can avoid people from stepping on to and hurting their feet from used fireworks which are thrown on the ground.
  • Keep buckets of water and blankets ready, in case a firebreaks out.
  • Wear heavier cotton clothes while lighting crackers so as to ensure maximum safety from fire.
  • If your clothes happen to catch fire, do not panic, drop down on the ground and roll.
  • Store water and keep it ready near the place of fireworks celebrations.
  • Keep a wet towel ready to cover your exposed parts when some crackers may accidentally burst.
  • Keep the regulators of your cooking gas cylinders turned off and do not keep the cylinders in balconies or open spaces to keep them protected from stray rockets.
  • Put earplugs (or cotton wool) in your ears.
  • Keep small portable extinguishers handy for urgent use.

 

 The Don’ts

 

  • Don’t burn crackers in crowded, congested places, narrow lanes, near sources of fire or inside the house.
  • Don’t put fireworks in your pocket.
  • Don’t cover crackers with tin containers or glass bottles for extra sound effect.
  • Don’t examine un-burst crackers…leave it!! Light a new cracker
  • Don’t light crackers on your hands. People have a tendency of lighting the fuses by bringing the cracker to the candle or incense rather than bringing the candle or incense to the fuse. Moving the candle of the incense to the fuse is the recommended method.
  • Avoid long loose clothes as they may get caught up in the fireworks and can catch fire.
  • In the event that someone is burnt, don’t remove burnt clothing (unless it comes off easily), but do ensure that the victim is not still in contact with smouldering materials.
  • Don’t try to burst the blisters.
  • The earthen lamps lit on Diwali night are generally placed on balcony and window ledges. Ensure that these are not near any flammable material like wood, cloth or paper.
  • Usually, decorative lights and electric lights should never be tied to any metal poles as any current leak can energize the pole and give a shock to anyone who touches the pole.
  • Fireworks and alcohol don’t mix: Drinking alcohol presents an added danger when there are fireworks and bonfires around. So don’t drink during your fireworks display.
  • Don’t light flying fireworks if there is a heavy wind.  

Fire safety and children

 

  • Make sure a responsible adult whom the children listen to, is present when they are bursting firecrackers. Children often tend to listen to their favourite aunt or uncle on these matters.
  • Warn your children against lighting crackers while holding them in their hands.
  • And last, but not least, remember that Diwali is a festival to be enjoyed by all. So, celebrate in a manner that does not cause inconvenience or harm to your neighbour.

 Image

Diwali and Pets

 

  • Pets get very frightened and jittery (and then occasionally become violent) on fireworks night, so keep all your pets indoor and close all the curtains to make things calmer. Remember it’s not just your own fireworks that cause distress, so you may have to have your pets indoors on several nights when other displays are taking place.

First Aid:

Burns happen when your skin comes into contact with something hot, such as fire, or if you are exposed to a radiated heat source, such as the sun.

Burns are usually divided into three categories depending on how much of the skin they affect. Superficial burns (first degree) affect the surface of the skin, making it red, swollen, and painful. This sort of burn can be treated at home and usually heals in between 7-10 days. Partial (second degree) and full thickness (third degree) burns are much more serious, and require medical attention.

Treating minor burns

To treat superficial (minor) burns at home follow the advice below.

  • Cool the skin using cool, or tepid, water for between 10-30 minutes, ideally within 20 minutes of the injury happening. This will prevent the burn getting worse.
  • Do not use ice, iced water, creams, or greasy substances, such as butter to sooth the burn. A cool bath, or shower, will help to soothe the burn.
  • If fingers or toes are burned, try and separate them with dry, sterile, non-adhesive dressings.
  • Avoid any kind of friction or pressure on the burnt area.
  • If the burn is painful, taking a mild painkiller, such as paracetamol, or ibuprofen, can help. However, always check the packaging to make sure that you take the correct dosage.
  • Do not interfere with the burn, or break any blisters. If the burn is very painful, or seems to be getting worse Rush the victim to the hospital immediately.
    • Deep, or large burns, or burns to the face, hands, or across joints, must always be checked by a doctor and may require hospital treatment.

 

Health & Environment friendly tips to celebrate Diwali

 

  • Instead of individual celebration prefer community celebration. With the increasing trend of gated community all the families of the community can celebrate Diwali in the common space. This will ensure reduced cost of celebration; paper pollution in a limited space and as compared to individual celebration, community celebration will cause less air and noise pollution.
  • Even while celebrating commonly make sure that you limit your celebration for a limited period of time. Your celebration can last for maximum 3 to 4 hours.
  • Instead of electric illumination go for traditional lightening of earthen lamps or diyas. This will not only enhance the beauty of your house but will also cut down the enormous electric consumption. Though earthen lamps need oil but the quantity is less and it gives light for at least 3-4 hours.
  • Cut down your shopping list and avoid purchasing unwanted and unnecessary things this Diwali. Excess consumerism is directly related to the consumption of raw material used to manufacture those things. Excessive consumerism increases the undue pressure on the natural resources.
  • Instead of buying “one-time use” items go for recyclable things. Secondly while cleaning your home for Deepawali instead of disposing things it is better to give it to under-privilege people.
  • Celebrate Diwali with a different meaning. You can celebrate this Diwali with poor and under-privilege children. Share your Diwali crackers, sweets and happiness with poor children.

Wishing a Safe

And

Happy

“Diwali”

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Your thoughts on this

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: